Volunteers are Welcome!
We love our volunteers! From giving their time in the classroom to planning and coordinating special events to everything in between, our volunteers help make our schools a richer, stronger learning environment. Interested in learning more about how you can make a measurable difference in the lives of our students? Contact the school.
Security Badges and Background Checks. Everything you need to know about volunteering at Sands and going on a field trip with your child.
Observing Classrooms or Volunteering
Visitors are always welcome at Sands Montessori. Upon entering the building, all visitors must report to the office to explain the purpose of their visit, to sign in and to obtain a visitor’s pass. We are proud to share our students work. In order for the educational process to ensue, please follow these guidelines:
- Please make an appointment to observe or volunteer at least one day in advance. Too many observers can be disturbing to our children. Also, if you are volunteering or tutoring, the teacher will need time to prepare work for you that will be beneficial to the children and enjoyable for you.
- Stop at the office first and sign in at the front desk indicating your destination. You will be given a badge to wear while you are in the building.
- In the classroom, enter quietly and sit in the space designated for you by the teacher.
- Do not interrupt children or staff while they are working. Wait until an appropriate break to ask the teacher any question you might have.
- Remember that as an observer or volunteer, you are bound by the same code of ethics as any other adult at Sands Montessori. You are not free to discuss any child's behavior or personal information with anyone else. Please do not ask staff members questions about children other than your own.
- If you would like to discuss your observation or a classroom issue with the teacher, please request a conference time or a phone call. The teacher will not be able to engage in a lengthy discussion during the school day.
- To minimize distractions during the school day, forgotten items (homework, lunch etc.) or needed supplies/notes must be delivered to the office.
Thank you for supporting the teaching and learning process by following these procedures. We appreciate your understanding and diligence in helping us to maintain our excellent program.
Sands Montessori is rich with opportunities for parents and families to get involved. Whether you're looking for a regular, ongoing commitment or a short-term volunteer opportunity, there are many options at Sands. Parents are encouraged to get involved and are welcome at school any time!
Sands Montessori Parent Organization
The Sands Montessori Parent Organization (SMPO) is an all-volunteer 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations made up of Sands parents/legal guardians, teachers, and staff. The Rudder is the name of the SMPO Board of Directors. The SMPO meets monthly.
The work of the SMPO can be grouped in two categories: programming and fundraising. Some of these activities are listed below:
- Box Tops for Education
- Grocery Cards — By purchasing gift cards for Kroger and Biggs from Sands, your weekly grocery shopping can benefit Sands. This is an easy, no-cost method to support our school. Cards can be purchased at any Sands event or with $5 sent in the child's backpack with a note to SMPO.
- Spirit Wear — The SMPO coordinates an ongoing inventory of Sands t-shirts, jackets, umbrellas, bumper stickers, mugs, and so on.
- Our two major fundraising events are the Fall Carnival and the Spring Silent Auction.
Other Ways to Be Involved at Sands
Diversity — Sands Montessori has a long and rich tradition of cultural and ethnic diversity. This committee works to maintain that tradition through a variety of efforts. All are encouraged to get involved on this committee.
Gardening — The Gardening Committee is charged with handling the beautification of the school grounds and developing opportunities for the entire school community to engage in outdoor learning experiences.
Wellness — The Wellness Committee is a group that supports the students, teachers, and parents by promoting healthy movement and mindful life choices. The Wellness Committee organizes several key events throughout the year.
Please check with the front office to get more information on becoming involved.