Included on this page are highlights from our policies and procedures. The Sands Montessori Student Handbook includes more detail on each of these items.
As a reminder, our hours are:
- School Hours: 9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
- Office Hours: 9:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
Please call in your child's absence by 9:00 a.m.
- Student dismissal changes must be in writing and presented to the classroom teacher first thing in the morning.
- For emergency changes, please contact the main office prior to 2:30 p.m.
- Our office staff will notify students/teachers of emergency changes at the end of the day so as not to disrupt learning.
- Families should not call the office and change dismissal routines on a regular basis as this is challenging for students and staff.
- It is important for students to be in attendance for a full day unless they are sick.
- We appreciate parents making every effort to schedule appointments for students outside of the school day.
Student behavior that distracts bus drivers is a hazard to the vehicle's safe operation, and jeopardizes the safety and welfare of all passengers. Misbehavior while on a yellow school bus or a Metro bus can result in disciplinary action for the student or the suspension of transportation service for the student. Read more about our requirements for student behavior on buses.
Cell Phone Policy
Cell phones and entertainment electronics, such as headphones, CD players, pagers, video games, radios, MP3 players, etc. are not permitted during the school day.
Cell phones are only to be used in an emergency. Cell phones and entertainment electronics will be confiscated if seen or heard by school staff. They will be returned to parents only.
Parents: please understand that students have access to the office phone to contact parents. In case of emergency parents/guardians may reach their student by calling the main office at (513) 363-5000.
Review CPS' Code of Conduct for disciplinary procedures.
Every Friday is Spirit Wear Day! Encourage your students to wear their school spirit wear every Friday.
Communication with parents is extremely important to the staff at Sands Montessori:
- We communicate regularly with parents through scheduled conferences, telephone calls, and shared weekly student work contracts.
- Your child’s progress is important to us and therefore we want to schedule focused time for parent communication.
- We ask parents to schedule teacher conferences or classroom visitations in advance with their child’s classroom teacher.
- Staff is responsible for instructing and monitoring students within their care so we kindly ask that you refrain from “On the Spot” conferences which can be distracting and disruptive to our learning environment.
How parents can stay informed:
- Parents can find information about our school events in the SMPO Reporter, parent bulletin board, parent center, or on our school website.
- We encourage all parents to sign up for Power School, the District-wide computer accessed information system which will allow you to view your child’s grades and progress toward the learning objective.
- Individual teachers will also share with parents their best means of daily communication utilized in their classrooms.
- Contact your child’s teacher or our main office for further information.
Paying for a field trip or book? Please remember that any monies that are brought to school should be in a sealed envelope with your child's name, room number and what the payment is for. Thank you.
To check and see if you have paid your student's yearly District fees please visit your Power School account and click on 'Balance' (represented with a small stack of coins) on the left side of the main page. You can also call the school office if you have any questions regarding your student's account, (513) 363-5000.
Snow Days and School Delays
Snow days and school delays are announced on our website, local TV and radio stations, CPS' mobile app, and through automated phone calls. Assume school is open unless you hear otherwise. Learn more about CPS' severe weather and emergency closing procedures.
Visiting During School Hours
We welcome visits from parents and guardians. However, to protect student safety, all visitors must sign in at the main office and wear a visitor's badge. Parents/guardians who would like a conference with their child's teacher must schedule an appointment with the teacher.
Additional Policy Information
- The Eagle's Nest Newsletter is sent home to every Sands family at certain times of the school year.
- Office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. If you arrive after 4:30 p.m. for any of our athletic programs, please enter through the gym doors as the main door automatically locks at 4:30 p.m.
- Missing any items? Please remember to label all student items, lunch boxes, coats, musical instruments, etc. Also, we have small collection of glasses if any student is missing a pair. All left over items will be donated if not claimed. Lost and found items.
- Student safety is of the utmost priority at Sands. The following car line procedures are to ensure the safety of all students and staff members:
- (3-6) students and their siblings are to be dropped off at the side (3-6) entrance. They should exit the car only when a staff member opens the door.
- (6-9) and (9-12) students are to be dropped off in the front circle. Students may exit the car with the assistance of a staff member of when a car has safely stopped in the front circle.
- Please wait patiently for the cars in front of you to load/unload passengers and do not pull around to exit. Staff members will direct traffic, should there be a delay, and cars will be safely routed around a stopped car.
We appreciate your understanding and patience.